There's no substitute for being able to see. That's why security professionals, police officers, emergency medical technicians, and pretty much anyone with a vital job is required to carry a flashlight while on the job.
Flashlights have gone through a sort of renaissance with the invention of LEDs in past few years. Flashlights can now be made cheaper and more rugged with more power allowing you to see further into the darkness than ever before.
Even tiny pencil-sized flashlights are now extraordinary useful and the case of a power outage or emergency situation in the dark. There's no substitute for being able to see what you're doing, ever. If the thought of being stranded alone and in the dark makes you nervous, carrying a flashlight is the easiest and best way to prevent a bad situation in the dark.
Table of Contents
- Best AAA Flashlight - Comparison Table
- Why You Carry a CCW Flashlight?
- Our Top 5 Best AAA Flashlights Reviews
- Things to Consider When Buying Your EDC Flashlight
Best AAA Flashlight - Comparison Table
Battery Life (hours)
1 (on high)
.5 (on high)
Why You Carry a CCW Flashlight?
Carrying a flashlight everyday can be the difference between being able to see where you're going in the dark, and tripping and stumbling into a trip to the ER. The simple fact is that not everywhere you go you can count on to be properly lit, even if you live in an urban area. Dropping your keys underneath your car, cleaning up after your dog, or identifying a stranger is much easier when you have plenty of light.
A flashlight is just a good thing to carry around with you and with the advent of LED technology, you can carry an extremely bright, extremely portable, and extremely affordable flashlight with you wherever you go. Even secure areas like courthouses and airports won't bat an eyelash for a flashlight on your keychain or in your pocket.
Many of these everyday carry flashlights can even be used as a weapon in a pinch with some even being designed with self-defense style bezels and pointed ends made to withstand impact and be used as a blunt object.
Of course, follow all all laws and make sure you don't act illegally but a flashlight is no doubt one of the most useful and indispensable items you can leave your house with. Especially in the case of an emergency.
Our Top 5 Best AAA Flashlights Reviews
Battery Life (hours)
1 (on high)
.5 (on high)
This light is more expensive than other options, substantially more expensive, but the quality is worth it. Surefire is the gold standard for lights. They make lighting and other products for special operation units around the world. This light is the best AAA flashlight money can buy.
When you pick it up it feels like a stone, the finish, the construction everything about it feels like it ready to take on the world. It’s a solid piece of technology that has more performance and better lighting than other light on the market.
You can get a whopping 300 lumens from this little light, but you’ll appreciate the three lighting levels that make this light more useful. The twist action on the bezel allows you to scroll through each of the light levels.
The proprietary reflector in this light I part of what makes it so awesome. The reflector takes the very tiny diameter of the LED and reflects it into a very focused and very wide beam you can navigate the darkness with.
Small features like a removable pocket clip and an included rechargeable battery help this light become even more useful. If you really need a good light, then you really need this one.
- Very bright
- Excellent beam
- Excellent material and quality
- Small battery life
If you want an el-cheapo light that you don’t mind if it gets lost at the airport, dropped into a storm drain, or just plain lost, then this is a good option. It provides all the usability of the models that cost as much as 10x more, at a price you’d pay for lunch.
This is a white light LED, that uses a single AAA battery, that puts out an awesome 54 lumens. Good for looking for objects out to 50 yards this little pen light is small enough it disappears in your pocket or purse. It weighs 2oz and is just over 4 inches long.
Take notice, there’s a longer version available in the same name that is slimmer but is easier to hang onto. Especially if you’re going to use this light something like dog walking, searching bags, or anything where you’ll be holding it a long time. This light is just so small it can be difficult to hold onto.
Made from high strength aluminum this is an O-ring sealed waterproof and shock resistance design that’ll last. If you want a cheap light for you to look for dropped keys, or find a wall switch, this is your best bet.
Comfortable knurling, slim pocket clip, and a durable button this light is going to last a long time. No reason it’s a favorite online, it’s good quality, extremely highly rated, and gets the job done. For the price, you can buy several and have them for the rest of your life!
- Good battery life
- it’s a little too small for big guys but perfect for women’s’ hands
You can really count on this light for years, available in a ton of different colors including a very nice metallic copper, this light Is the right level of quality to want to strap it onto your key ring.
The best thing about this light is the level of performance it puts out is excellent for the size. The white led is consistent and very clear from edge to edge. You won’t get a hotspot in the middle of the beam and then a huge cone of dimly lit area around it.
You get a very clear and focused beam of intelligently filtered light anywhere you need it. The case of the light has a pocket clip and a way to strap the light to a keyring. Both are low profile and tough, but neither is too hard to use. If you needed to pull the light in and out of your pocket all day, you wouldn’t have to worry about it.
This is about as good as it gets for a keychain light. It’s barely big enough to hold the AAA battery it runs off of and it puts out more performance than the big D-cell lanterns of yesteryear. You can really depend on this light for an EDC light and the copper case is attractive while still being high performance.
- High performance
- Extremely small
- Almost too small to use for an extended period of time off a key ring
- Not as rugged as other designs
This is a seriously tiny, and seriously rugged light that has been well thought out and included with designs that are dumbfoundingly useful! It might sound weird when you think about “designing” a flashlight, but this tiny light is extremely useful thanks to the details that went into it.
The body is aluminum, the light is a white Cree LED, and it powered by a single AAA. That Cree Led puts out a whopping, 120 crisp, focused lumens. It has several lighting options from low, high and strobe as well. The finish is type 3 anodized so it’ll look good for forever unless you give it serious abuse, but this light can take it if you’re so inclined.
This light is small enough that it can be carried slipped to a wallet if you really wanted. The tiny clip is extremely strong and does a great job of holding the light down. However, it comes with a twist, the clip is reversible, making it possible to reliably attach the light to a hat or to a shirt sleeve.
It’s an impromptu solution for a do-it-all light that is small enough to carry on a keyring. You get to take advantage of all the design and the knowledge that went into this light and know that for a full two years they’ll replace it if it breaks. It’s just a good tool.
- Can be attached to many things
- Cree LEDs
- Well designed
- Very tiny if not attached to anything
Streamlight is one of the companies that has ushered in the advancements in LED technology into inexpensive, and high-performance flashlights. They make dozens of lights from little pen lights like this to military and tactical lights that are ready for combat.
You can count on this light. It’s a pen light designed to be as portable as the shorter lights on the market but more user friendly and has a much, much longer battery life than the single models out there.
It’s about the size of a maker, includes a removable pocket clip and makes for an excellent light that can be stashed just about anywhere. The light itself is one of the easier to hang into in the AAA flashlight market. The aluminum anodizing is silky smooth, but the light is long enough to get a good purchase on.
If you need a pen light, this is just about one of the best you can get for the job. The light power and quality, combined with the battery life and the price of the light put this head and shoulders above the others.
- Very portable
- Very bright
- Very long battery life
- Not as focused as other lights
- Not as rugged as other lights
Things to Consider When Buying Your EDC Flashlight
- Size - The size of your flashlight is extremely important if you're going to actually carry it or not, and how you're going to use it when the time comes. Too big and you won't use it, a period too small and it will be hard to hold when it comes time to use it to find your way or look for a lost item. The bigger your hands the bigger the flashlight needs to be but the sweet spot is a flashlight about the size of a pencil or marker. Smaller lights work better on key chains that are harder to hold larger lights are easier to hold on to but are difficult to carry around.
- Batteries - Carry spare batteries. That doesn't have to be carried on your person but carrying spare batteries in a car or your backpack will make sure that you're not caught flat-footed if your batteries are dead when you need your flashlight the most. Do not buy a flashlight for everyday carry that uses a battery you can't find locally without ordering online. Stock up on batteries when you can and make sure that you carry the manufacturer's recommended size and type.
- Finish - The finish of the flashlight needs to protect the body as well as make it easy to hold onto. The lightweight aluminum tubes that make many flashlights strong and durable, also make them difficult to hold onto especially with wet or sweaty hands. If your flashlight is hard to hold onto making sure you attach a lanyard before you start carrying it every day.
- Brightness - Get a flashlight with the appropriate amount of light and throw to prevent you from not having enough light. This also means don't by the strongest flashlight that you can get your hands on because eventually it will cause night blindness and you will lose your sense of vision and direction.
- Lighting - Modes make sure you know each and every mode that your flashlight has before you start carrying it everyday. The last thing you want is for the power to go out and to be thumbing through a dozen different strobe and brightness levels trying to figure out which one you actually need.
- Warranty - get a flashlight with a warranty. Don't buy from a company that won't standby their work.
A flashlight can be an important safety product as well as just two meanings to get through your daily life when you drop your keys or walk your dog. Make sure you buy a quality flashlight and carry it when you're most likely to need it. These days there's no excuse not to have some sort of light on your person when you need it. You can buy them for extremely cheap with an exceptionally high performance that will fit in your pocket and serve you well for years.
Your new flashlight won't do you any good if you buy it and leave it on your nightstand or on your desk. Get a model that you can live with day today, and make sure that you have it on you when you're likely to need it, or just keep it on you all the time. Just remember, when you need light the most there's no substitute.